My medium is fabric, my method is quilting, and the
source of my inspiration is frequently the written word. It may be a poem, a quotation, a prayer. The thoughts and feelings ignited by
those words form mental images, which I sketch first on paper, and refine until I am satisfied with the design. The sketch becomes my
working pattern, and I employ a wide variety of methods for creating the image in fabric, from traditional piecing and appliqué
to raw edge applications. I frequently embellish my quilts with reverse bobbin embroidery and hand beading. I finish all my quilts with
hand-guided quilting on my long-arm machine, using abstract, thematic motifs inspired by the words and images that first caught my attention.
I enjoy sharing my interest in art quilts as an instructor and lecturer, and as the author of numerous articles for quilting and sewing
Publications and Appearances:
- Quilting Arts TV Episode 605
Stitching, Guilds and Sandwiches
- Quilting Arts Magazine GIFTS Holiday 2011/2012
"Gelt Coins and Gift Tags," pages 23-27
- Quilting Arts Magazine GIFTS Holiday 2010/2011
"Thread-Sketched Vintage Eyeglass Case," pages 104-106
- Quilting Arts Magazine GIFTS Holiday 2009/2010
"Seeing Double," pages 97-99
"Mug Cozy," pages 102-105
- Cloth, Paper, Scissors July/August 2009 Issue 25
"STUDIOS Sneak Peek," pages 54-57
- Quilting Arts Magazine GIFTS Holiday 2008/2009
"Embellished CD Covers," pages 74-77
- Cloth, Paper, Scissors STUDIOS 2008
"Hanging Business Card Holder," pages 87-88
- Quilting Arts Magazine October/November 2007 Issue 29
"Thread Sketching on Stabilizer," pages 62-65
Recent Awards and Recognitions:
- "I Don't Wear Hats, But I'm Fine with My Tiara" self-portrait quilt included in Cate Coulacos Prato's book, Mixed-Media Self-Portraits; Inspiration and Techniques, published by Interweave Press, 2008.
- Quilt selected for the 2008 Quilting Arts Magazine Calendar
- Quilt selected for 2006 International Touring Exhibition "Tactile Architecture"
- Quilt selected for 2006 Hoffman International Touring Exhibition
- Self-portrait quilt published in Quilting Arts Magazine Winter 2005, Issue 20
- Review of Touchstone Gallery exhibit in Washington, DC, includes write up of my quilt in the Examiner Newspaper, August
12 & 13, 2006
articles written about my work in Washington Jewish Week, June 23, 2005 and December 24, 2008
- Prayer Shawl entry received Fiber Art Study Group Award at Creative Crafts Council 25th Bienniel Show
Education: B.A. from Illinois Wesleyan University, 1981. M.A. from The University of Chicago, 1986.
Profile: 51 years old, married 24 years (!) with four children, ages 23, 21, 16, and 13. Fluent in Spanish and enthusiastic
about gardening, walking the dog, and eating out.